June 1st marks the beginning of hurricane season. Although it’s a season that makes an annual appearance, this year’s hurricane season might look a little different. While we start preparing for hurricane season, we must remember we are in the midst of a global pandemic. We compiled a list of some important tips to remember as we approach the months ahead.
Start preparing NOW by making a plan
- Know the weather
- Download the WAFB Weather App and access the most up to date weather in your area
- Build an emergency kit
- Basics items (but not limited to): water, non-perishable food, flashlights, extra batteries, a first aid kit
- Covid-19 items (but not limited to): Cloth face coverings, soap or hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes
- Prepare for an evacuation order
- Listen to local officials and evacuate when you are told. Make sure your car is filled with gas and keep an emergency kit nearby or in your vehicle
- Protect your animals
- Pet owners should know animal shelters, pet-friendly hotels or check in with family/friends about bringing your pets.