It's an annual Christmas event in Baton Rouge. Watch the video for a glimpse at a previous year's event. NOTE: Dates mentioned in video have changed.
BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo invites the community to celebrate the holidays with two great events – ZooLights and Art Gone Wild. See your favorite wild animals comes to life with twinkly lights and original art!
Here’s what you need to know about ZooLights:
ZooLights is a festive mile-long trail through the Zoo after-dark. Be amazed by the more than 50 illuminated display sculptures of animals and traditional holiday spectacles.
- Open November 29 – December 30
- Closed Christmas Eve & Christmas Day
- Admission gates open 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Zoo grounds close at 9:00 p.m.
- Adults/Teens: $5
- Seniors: $4
- Ages 2-12: $3
- Friends of the Zoo Members: $3 per person
Also, visit the lights display and give back to the community. This holiday season, BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo partners with the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. Every guest presenting a non-perishable food item during Zoolights hours will receive a 50% discount from the regular admission price. All food donations will go directly to the food bank.
During each evening, the Safari Post Gift Shop and Flamingo Café will remain open & feature special holiday treats and gift options.
Visitors can enjoy other special holiday activities on the following dates:
- 11/29 – Coca Cola Santa Visit
- 11/30 – Ornament Crafting
- 12/6 & 12/7 – Safari Santa
- 12/13 & 12/14 – Art Gone Wild
- 12/15 – Charlie’s Bell Choir Performance at 6:30pm
- 12/20 & 12/21 – Ornament Crafting
For more information about ZooLights, click here.
You also might like: See more than 100,000 twinkle lights at Baton Rouge General’s Holiday Lights display
Here’s what you need to know about Art Gone Wild:
Artists of all ages and experience levels are invited to paint or draw the Zoo animals that inspire them most and submit their work for judging at the Zoo’s annual ZooLights event.
- Entries are free
- Entries are limited to one per person.
- Artwork must be 2-D and drawn/painted by hand.
- Submission categories are as follows:
- Alligator (Child up to 2nd Grade)
- Eagle (Child Grades 3rd – 6th)
- Giraffe (Child Grades 7th – 12th)
- Tiger (All Adults)
- Submissions are due November 29.
- Submissions on display during ZooLights, December 13 & 14
Artwork submissions can be dropped off at BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo or the BREC main office on Florida Boulevard.
Visitors can vote for their favorites in person. A first, second and third place winner will be determined within each category by public vote, and an overall winner will be determined by a panel of community judges.
So, get creative and get wild! For more information about Art Gone Wild, click here.
If you feel like taking a trip to NOLA… Shine Bright: 16 spots in NOLA to see festive holiday lights this season