No, we’re not talking about the four-legged kind. Although now that you mention it, we might consider some of these hot dogs “man’s best friend”. We’re talking about sausage, franks, or wieners expertly grilled, boiled, braised, fried, smothered and topped in all kinds of deliciousness.
- The Chicago Dog: Straight from the windy city the Chicago Dog is a Vienna Beef frank that is steamed, placed in a poppy seed bun and topped with yellow mustard, green relish, raw onion, a pickle spear, sports peppers, tomato slices and topped with a sprinkling of celery salt.
- The New York Dog: Order up a dog in the Big Apple and you’ll most likely receive a classic Kosher all-beef dog, expertly griddled and topped with a smear of pale yellow mustard and a heaping helping of sauerkraut.
- The Texas Tommy: In west Philadelphia this dog was born and raised… sliced down the middle, stuffed with Cheez Whiz and crispy bacon then served on a toasted bun.
- The Fenway Frank: A New England-style bun is the perfect bun for this boiled & grilled all-beef frank topped with mustard, relish and in some cases a scoop of Boston baked beans.
- The Crab Mac N’Cheese Dog: Across the country, nothing goes together quite like hot dogs and baseball… except maybe crab and mac n’ cheese? That’s what you’ll find at Camden Yards in Baltimore, MD. An all-beef dog, grilled and tucked into a soft, chewy bun. It doesn’t stop there, this dog is loaded with lump crab meat, ooey gooey macaroni & cheese then lightly dusted with Old Bay seasoning.
- The Michigan Red Hot: The Michigan Red Hot hail from the great state of New York… not Michigan. This all-beef frank is steamed before being doused in minced chili and topped off with chopped raw onion and mustard loaded into a steamed split-top bun.
- The Carolina Dog: Also known as the slaw dog or the West Virginia dog this all-beef dog is smothered in slaw, meaty chili, raw Vidalia onion, and yellow mustard.
- The Sonoran Dog: Popular in Phoenix and Tuscon this bacon wrapped dog is grilled and nestled into a steamed bolillo roll then topped with pinto beans, chopped tomatoes, onions, mustard, mayo, and Other common toppings include guacamole, salsa verde and a variety of cheeses.
- The Denver Dog: Chopped red onion, green chili sauce, sour cream and sliced jalapenos are piled a mile high on top of this delicious all-beef dog in a steamed or toasted bun.
No matter how you decided to dress it, fire up the grill, kick back and enjoy a good hot dog with your friends and family.