These chocolate shortbread cookies are as simple as they are delicious!
Before you go out and buy gifts this year, look in your own kitchen! Anne Milneck, owner of Red Stick Spice Co., shows us how to make their delicious chocolate shortbread cookies-with a twist! They’re the perfect gifts for friends and family this Christmas.
Double Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
1/2 cup of butter, softened (1 stick)
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp espresso extract
1/4 tsp espresso salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour (all-purpose is fine)
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Cream together the softened butter,sugars,extracts and salt.
2. Mix together rest of dry ingredients in a bowl. Once the dough is well mixed, toss in the chocolate chips.
4. Knead the dough lightly, enough to evenly distribute the chocolate chips, then split in half and roll into two logs about 2 inches thick. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2
to 3 hours to firm up.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Roll log in espresso sugar
7. Cut each cookie dough log into slices about 3/8″-1/2″ thick. Arrange on parchment. These shortbread cookies will not expand much at all, but leave a little space between them.
8. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove to rack to cool.