Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans is a week-long event celebrating the best in the spirits world. One of the hottest tickets in town during the conference, is always the Elyx Vodka pop up. We caught up with Miranda Dickson, Global Brand Director for Elyx Vodka, to chat about Elyx, the future of cocktails as well as their wildly successful event at this year’s Tales of the Cocktails.
This is Absolut Elyx’s sixth year at Tales of the Cocktail-what can people expect this year at Garden of Elyx?
* Think of a secret English garden where people can enter with a key, and be met with a cool 50s Hollywood LA pool party. The Garden of Elyx is a place where people can step into and immediately feel like they’re in another world. We have the world’s best bartenders such as Leo Robitschek (The Nomad, Eleven Madison Park), Alex Kratena (named World’s Best International Bartender at Tales of the Cocktail) making you the most imaginative and delicious cocktails such as a Copper Sangria with Absolut Elyx, Peach, Cedarwood, Grapefruit and Champagne, mermaids in the pool, Elyx popsicles to cool down with and more. We also have the much-anticipated return of the Elyx Salon where guests can get their hair and makeup done in true elevated Elyx style.
The Elyx House is always one of the hot ticket places to be at Tales- what goes into making sure it’s such a memorable experience for guests?
* We always pay attention to the fine details in order to give guests a truly memorable experience and transport the world of Elyx to New Orleans. Whether it’s a chance to try one a creative cocktail from Monica Berg, a classic chilled copper Elyx martini by Toby Cecchini, guests leave having experienced a unique style of elevated, fun hospitality.
Your brand’s “motto” is “copper makes It better”- this goes beyond the amazing drinking vessels and into the actual making of the vodka. Can you talk a little about that?
● We use the hashtag #coppermakesitbetter in a fun, playful way to highlight the instrumental role that copper plays in the production of our vodka. Our vintage copper still is from 1921 and it removes the unwanted aromas and fusel oils. Copper is what gives the spirit its silky smooth texture. It’s not just the one of the signature of the brand, it represents the truth of the manufacturing process.
To the drink ware, it is one of the most instagrammable things you can put a cocktail in-what goes into the creative process of making these products?
● Our intent was not to design for Instagram but more to giving our customers a fantastical and whimsical experience, something that they will remember. Why not serve the most delicious cocktails in the world in vessels that are fun and playful as well.
Elyx always seems to be at the forefront of the spirit and bar world-how do you make sure your brand always stands out?
● Obviously first and foremost, our commitment to creating the best possible vodka. Elyx is a handcrafted luxury express of Absolut vodka. But when it comes to bringing the brand to life, our commitment is to elevate hospitality, and bringing moments of joy and conviviality. Hospitality does not mean being elitist, it’s about friendship and hospitality. In fact, for the past four years, our Elyx Copper Pineapple drinking vessel – pineapple is the international symbol of hospitality- has been the best selling item at our Elyx boutique.
Are there any upcoming cocktail trends you can speak on that will be featured at Garden of Elyx?
● For us, cocktail creativity does not need to be necessarily adding hundreds of ingredients to make one cocktail. We already have the best quality base for a drink, and work with some of the world’s best and recognized bartenders in the industry to ensure we constantly remain at the forefront of drinking experiences. At Elyx, we focus on hospitality and energy and bringing the most to every experience.
● We know that at Tales of the Cocktail and July in New Orleans is always hot so we commissioned Alex Kratena, Leo Robitschek, Monica Berg, Toby Cecchini and Maxime Belfrand to create drinks that will be refreshing, and highlight an elevated, glamorous pool party that reflects whimsy and fun. And with all Elyx party, a martini is a must.
For those getting introduced to Elyx Vodka for the first time this weekend, what is one thing you would like them to know about Elyx?
● Elyx is a handcrafted luxury expression of Absolut vodka. Our vodka comes from one single estate in Sweden which means we have complete control of the production, from the seed to the finished bottle. The way we use copper in the distillation process means we have a vodka with an exceptionally silky quality.
Looking towards the future-what can people expect from Elyx?
● For the past four years, Elyx has concentrated activity within the United States, We are happy to say that we are the only vodka priced over $25 that is growing in the market. This is a big win for us and is now time to expand to the rest of the world and the spread the copper love. We’ll continue to innovate and expand our copper universe, so expect to see more.