The 4 Seasons of Home Ownership is a curated collection of how-to videos, articles and tips to keep your home running smoothly throughout the year. Items on the fall checklist are designed to prepare your home for cooler weather, from replacing heating and cooling system filters to checking weather-stripping on doors and windows.
Check out Tackling Fall Maintenance and Weatherization Chores for more info.
See how we helped some first-time homeowners take on the list in the “4 Seasons of Home Ownership: Fall” episode of Today’s Homeowner with Danny Lipford.
Top 10 Must Do
- Replace air conditioning/heating system filters. Vacuum the area behind filters.
- Clean and inspect gutters/downspouts. Repair if needed.
- Rake leaves from the lawn.
- Drain gas from the lawnmower. Tune up the engine and sharpen the blade.
- Install storm windows and storm doors.
- Drain and flush the water heater.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check all weatherstripping on doors and windows. Replace if damaged.
- Drain lawn irrigation system.
- Caulk all cracks on exterior of home.
If Time and Budget Allow
- Trim hedges and shrubs.
- Recoat the trim paint in at least one room of the house.
- Pull out and unplug the refrigerator to clean behind it. Vacuum the coils.
- Remove all dead plants from gardens, and trim dead tree limbs.
- Check caulking around the bathtubs. Re-caulk, if necessary.
- Clean and deodorize the dishwasher with white vinegar.